Friday, June 24, 2011

Philadelphia Style Cheese Steak

     Every once in a while I attempt to make a Philadelphia Cheese Steak sandwich. It will never come close to Pat's or Gino's in Philadelphia but it's a good alternative. The key is to use real steak, not the flaked and pressed sandwich steaks they sell in the freezer. There is one company that does have frozen steak sliced paper thin. Landis, and it's in the freezer section of the meat dept. A traditional cheese steak has cheese wiz on it. Yes cheese wiz! I prefer cheddar cheese, but you can use any cheese you want. I also like to top mine with fried onions and mushrooms. But be creative! Make a pizza steak with mozzarella cheese and sauce, or fajita steak with monterey jack cheese, fried peppers and onions and guacamole.

     First, I put a drizzle of olive oil in a hot frying pan. I saute a sliced onion, when they are almost done, I add 3 or 4 sliced mushrooms. When they are light brown and tender, remove the onion mixture from the pan and keep warm.


 Put the steaks into the frying pan. While they are cooking, pull the steaks apart, into small pieces. When the steak is done divide it into portions. Put the cheese on top to melt.






 Put the onion mixture on a steak roll, and top with the steak and cheese. You can also put your cheesesteak on a whole wheat wrap, which is the way I prefer it. I served it with cole slaw and a slice of tomato on the side. Enjoy!!



                                   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment